Radiation Oncology comprises of 2 major types.
Internal & External Radiation
Our Cancer centre uses the latest technology machine of Elekta Synergy with Agility
The Modalities available are:
- 3-D Conformal radiation therapy, delivers a high radiation dose to tumours but safeguards healthy tissue.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), is a revolutionary new modality in which radiation beams are shaped by 160 collimator leaves (Fingers) that wrap the radiation dose around a tumour, thus sparing healthy tissue.
- Image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT), involves using a variety of digital imaging techniques to pinpoint the exact location of a targeted tumour while the patient is in the treatment position and just prior to delivering the treatment.
- Volumetric Arc Therapy (VMAT): Technology which gives dose distribution similar to IMRT but delivers treatment in shorter duration.
- Stereo-tactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT): for Lung tumours, Total Body irradiation, for the treatment of patients with leukaemia and lymphoma in preparation for bone marrow and stem cell transplantation.
- Cone-beam Computed Tomography Systems (CBCT): are a variation of traditional computed tomography (CT) systems. The CBCT systems used to rotate around the patient, capturing data using a cone-shaped X-ray beam
- Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRS): combines 3D imaging with multiple, highly-focused x-rays beamed at a tumour from different angles. Treatment machines automatically adjust for the motion of your breathing; making sure the beams precisely target a tumour and leave surrounding, healthy tissue untouched. Particularly effective for treating small, well-defined tumours in inoperable or surgically risky locations such as the brain and spine.
A radiation oncologist is an oncology doctor who is a qualified cancer specialist treating cancer patients usually by using radiations and also in some institutions by chemotherapy also where a trained medical oncologist is not available.
A radiation therapist is a technologist/technician who operates the radiotherapy machines, and also participates in radiation department functions like immobilising devices formation, simulation of patients, quality assurance programme of department and computing process for dose calculations. They perform as per the instructions of Physicist & Oncologist.