Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers affecting a large number of women all across the globe. Over the years, to combat the disease, the members of medical fraternity including breast specialist doctor in Pune, Mumbai, Satara and other cities of Maharashtra have always come forward to adapt the advanced techniques, revolutionizing the cancer treatment.
The type of treatment a cancer patient needs primarily depends upon the type of cancer and the stage of cancer. However, in most of the cases, patients are referred to a combination of treatments for best results.
Following are the medical treatments that a breast cancer patient may have to undergo:
- Surgical Operation: The main objective of breast cancer surgery is to remove the cancerous tumor from the breast. If the cancer cells are spread to the lymph nodes, then the doctor may also remove the lymph nodes in the underarm area (auxiliary nodes).There are two types of surgeries recommended by the surgeons depending upon the case. These are:
- Lumpectomy: Only the breast tumor is removed along with a small strip of normal tissue around. The remaining portion of the breast remains intact. This is also known as breast-conserving surgery.
- Mastectomy: In mastectomy, the surgeon recommends to remove the entire breast (this includes the nipple and areola). This is true in most cases, barring exceptions.
- Chemotherapy: This treatment aims to destroy the cancer cells through the use of drugs that are directly injected into the veins through a needle or by pills. In certain cases, a combination of both can also be applied. Chemotherapy is often recommended as an addition to other treatments like surgery, radiation or hormone therapy. It is an effective therapy that enhances the possibility of a cure, reduces the risk of relapsing, mitigates the symptoms and can also contribute towards a better quality of life of the patient.
- Hormonal Therapy: Hormonal therapy is used to block the hormones that help the cancerous cells to grow. The therapy is recommended only in those cases where breast cancers are found to have receptors for the naturally occurring hormones. It is often a post-surgery recommendation that aims to mitigate the risk of relapse. This treatment is also used to shrink a tumor prior to the surgery to ensure optimum results.
- Biological Therapy: This treatment uses the body’s immune system to target and destroy the cancer cells. The therapy induces the immune system to recognize and kill the cancer cells. It may also be used for controlling the growth of the tumor and preventing the spread of cancerous cells.
- Radiation Therapy: Radiation therapy for breast cancer uses high-energy X-rays and other particles to kill cancer cells. The treatment is highly effective on rapidly growing cancer cells that are susceptible to the effects of radiation therapy. The primary aim of radiation therapy is to kill any surviving cancerous cells that remained in or around the breast or lymph nodes after surgery.
- Other Complementary Medications: Apart from the above mentioned standard breast cancer treatments, there are certain prescribed medicines and health practices which when included in everyday life can go a long way in improving the health of the patient. Practices like meditation and yoga and supplements like vitamins and herbs are often healthy ways to counter any health-damaging impacts.
We, at Onco-Life Cancer Centre (located in Satara, 100kms from Pune) have been successfully catering to patients, coming from districts far and wide. We are known for our state-of-the art facilities and services that are at par with any other cancer hospital in Pune.
Wondering which treatment is right for you?
With so many options available for cancer treatment, patients may have difficulty in choosing the right one. A cancer specialist is the right person who can explain the pros and cons of each treatment. We, at Onco-life Cancer Centre offer services of highly experienced doctors who can help patients understand their case better and hence, plan their treatment accordingly.
While there are many cancer centers across the country, breast cancer treatments in Pune, Satara, Mumbai are highly sought-after for their quality services and cost-effectiveness.